Now Featuring...

Abbie on... : Every Monday relationship philosopher Abbie discusses all things love, loss and San Diego.

My San Diego: Where we welcome a guest blogger who tells us all about their San Diego. Wednesdays!

Places I've Been: Every Friday Cutcha tells you about a place she's been. San Diego sites, attractions and fun. She'll tell you about her San Diego.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Abbie on: the most important relationship a girl, scratch that, a HUMAN BEING can have



* Editors Note* Tell that to my husband who was busy rubbing his temples last night begging to know WHY, WHY I insist on turning the TV to A Shot at Screwing Tila Tequila after she's screwed a bunch of other people on national television. "I'm just perusing, sheesh, it's not like I watch this crap TV." "Then turn it off." "Hold on, that guy says some other people were messing around! OH SNAP!" After last weeks crazy fire this and that, Abbie returns triumphant, though too busy to catch up with her ever so important friend, the DVR. (And no I DON'T DVR Tila Tequila's love muffin fest, but I do DVR The Hills, because I am a bad person, a bad.... bad, person.*



Abbie on: her relationship... with her DVR...and Nip/Tuck.

Abbie Berry


Lately, I can’t watch more than 30 minutes of television without falling asleep. It’s sad really. Sometimes, I’m asleep within five minutes. I mean try watching a movie with me. It’s more like watching a movie while I cuddle up with a blanket beside you and gently begin to snore.
(I even fall asleep at the movie theater. It’s pathetic).


Life is funny like that. Time gets away from you.


I graduated from Grad School last May but I find myself busier than ever. I go and go and go and before I know it, I still haven’t accomplished all of my goals for the day and I’m exhausted. I watch ten minutes of something and I’m dreaming. (The only people who should be jealous of this horrible disease I have are people who have a really hard time sleeping. It’s a beautiful thing that my couch is so comfortable).


I’m not really complaining. I’m blessed to be this busy with a full-time, paying job, a social life, a special group of friends, working out, teaching 8-year olds about being good little people and my DVR.


I love my cell phone. I have an Ipod. Thank goodness for my laptop, but my DVR I cannot live without.


Ok, so I’m talking about my relationship with my DVR. When I think back to the VCR days, I cringe.


Those of you who know what I mean, this blog’s for you.


As I write this, my DVR is 85% full and anything over 50% just won’t do. I need a vacation from my life just to catch up on my favorite shows.


I’m a writer -- an artist and I feel this huge amount of guilt when I’m worried about catching up on my shows instead of taking the time to write or read something that might inspire me or might teach me something new. Not to say that all TV is worthless. Most of the shows that I watch definitely make me think about the things I write about. In fact, many do.


But I write about love.


I just have to admit it. I have a relationship with my DVR and it is not ending anytime soon.
(Although, I do think I have to cancel my Netflix account. Since I can’t stay awake, the movies are just sitting at my place, waiting to be watched. This is not economically efficient).


Does anyone else feel this way?


Addicted and guilty?


Are you also counting the days until the Season Premiere of Nip/Tuck? I can’t wait to see what Dr. Troy has been up to and if you watch, you know what I mean.


Now, I have to come up with a plan that will keep me awake long enough to catch up.
And I need that same plan for the rest of my life as well.


Any ideas, please share and if you have suggestions for shows I need to see – beware you will be feeding the fire.


This is one fire we haven’t been hearing about on the news all week.


Sleep and TV.


My DVR.


For me.

No comments: