Now Featuring...

Abbie on... : Every Monday relationship philosopher Abbie discusses all things love, loss and San Diego.

My San Diego: Where we welcome a guest blogger who tells us all about their San Diego. Wednesdays!

Places I've Been: Every Friday Cutcha tells you about a place she's been. San Diego sites, attractions and fun. She'll tell you about her San Diego.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My San Diego: it's all about Abbie time.


*Editors note* Abbie is going to be a weekly contributor beginning next week. She'll be writing all about love, relationships, San Diego and people, because people are her thing. I've given her a bit of Carte Blanche about how to approach the whole thing so I too am looking forward to her first submission. As part of gearing up for Monday's article, we're featuring Abbie as our Guest Blogger for My San Diego. Read on, all about Abbie's San Diego.

Abbie's San Diego is all about relationships.

I love this city.

I do.

I grew up in Southern California but not in San Diego. I’ve lived here 14 years and now it feels like home. Tourists say we live in paradise. We have our beautiful, consistent weather, a multitude of beaches, Sea World, the Zoo, Old Town, the Gaslamp…San Diego is a great place to be. No doubt about it.

But it’s the people that make it my favorite city.

See, I have this theory that life is all about relationships. (Oh wait until I tell you all about my relationship theories. We’ll save that for another time). Relationships are the core to everything.
Everything.

Your job. Your psyche. The reason you wake up in the morning. The car you drive. What you’re going to eat for lunch today. Your mom. Your best friend. The first time you saw a beautiful sunset.

People.

We walk by each other, test one another, have conversations, start friendships, make promises, we all rely on someone. We all have a reason to ponder the big questions.

Right?

I’m an outgoing girl. I meet new people all of the time. I’m talkative and I’m truly interested in discovering different points of view. I’m a writer. I’m always looking for a new way to look at something. A new mode of thought. Something I might not have even thought about if it wasn’t for that late night conversation.

Sometimes I come across someone who stands out. I may only have one real conversation with someone and it somehow impacts my decisions for the day. Possibly alters my decisions for the future.

When I’m paying attention, it’s amazing what I observe.

Couples having fun together, just walking down the street. Mothers shopping with their children. Students studying at Starbucks. A young man who looks up and glances at his girl friend and smiles. She never looks up or notices, but I see and I smile.

Maybe these people exist in every city in every state everywhere. But the people in San Diego are mine:

  • My co-workers who make me laugh every day with their verbiage and made up expressions about dating and women.
  • The children I teach on the weekends that always surprise me with the best questions and the most amazing ideas. They also keep me laughing. One little girl decided to show me how small her hands really are -- she can put her whole fist in her mouth. Oh my.
  • The man who manages the nail salon that I used to go to years and years ago who I saw for the first time last weekend. He knew exactly who I was after all that time.
  • My ex-boyfriend who recently sat with me and talked to me about the good times. It felt great to talk like old friends and be genuinely happy for one another.
  • The woman who waits tables at the Turf Supper Club. (Have you been there? If not you must go right away!) One in particular is always extra attentive and sweet.
  • The cab drivers who pick up in the Gaslamp downtown. Oh man the things they must hear people talking about.
  • My friend Cutcha who invited me to be a part of this blog. She is one of the most creative people I know.
  • Reverend Travis. He will read your tarot cards and your head will spin.
  • The English professor that I had at Mesa College years ago who taught Chaucer but loved to watch General Hospital.
  • My boyfriend and his friends and the way they all relate to each other. The mocking, the laughing, the camaraderie.
  • The band Switchfoot resides in San Diego. They preach the good word and play music that makes my heart happy.
  • The aerobics instructor at 24 Hour Fitness who always makes me smile when we run into each other.
  • The two people who were in line in front of me at Cost-co a few days ago. The woman was impatient but friendly and the man told me my poultry was going to spoil.
  • My friend Jon who constantly encourages me to write and read and write and be creative. He is one of the smartest people I know. Look Jon, I’m writing!
  • My friend Michelle who was waiting patiently (or impatiently) for a guy to text message her. Her texts to me, “Nothing yet. I want to text. Hurry, distract me,” made me laugh. He sent her a text the next day.


You see it is all about the way we relate to one another.


Think about it.


San Diego entertainment at its best.


For me.





Abbie is a writer, Sunday school teacher, observer, SDSU graduate (with an MFA), a teacher, a list maker, a lover, a relationship guru, a friend. If you'd like to reach her you can email: mysandiegoabbie@yahoo.com Monday you'll find her relationship/love article HERE on My San Diego... Your San Diego.




If you'd like to be featured as a guest and tell us all about your San Diego email cutchawrites@gmail.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hot hottie hot hot HOT! Excellent choice for guest blogger.

Oh and she seems to be able to write as well.

Anonymous said...

Life.

-partner

jonny O said...

you had me at "I love this city"...