Now Featuring...

Abbie on... : Every Monday relationship philosopher Abbie discusses all things love, loss and San Diego.

My San Diego: Where we welcome a guest blogger who tells us all about their San Diego. Wednesdays!

Places I've Been: Every Friday Cutcha tells you about a place she's been. San Diego sites, attractions and fun. She'll tell you about her San Diego.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Remember that "eminent domain" thing?

I do. I remember I described it to my brother as "like how Mom and Dad have the right to go in and reclaim the bedroom you reclaimed from me when you moved in after I went to college like I was NEVER COMING BACK!"

A family in Otay Mesa was awarded $26.5 million on Wednesday in a case over land that was targeted for condemnation by the state Department of Transportation so it could build a freeway. The families business, Anderprises Inc., owned the land when Caltrans used eminent domain to take 2.8 of the 58 acre parcel. The family claimed that the section of land that was seized effectively cut off and landlocked the rest of the land. Caltrans countered that it did not need to pay for the landlocked portion of the land, and only offered to pay for the 2.8 acres it seized. From Sign on San Diego:

The jury ruled unanimously in favor of the landholders. The panel concluded the value of the 2.8-acre parcel was $1.3 million. Additionally, it set damages for the lost use of the landlocked property at $20.1 million.

A victory for the little guy? Perhaps. Funny because I remember how during that time my brother and I would take things from each other and start screaming "eminent domain!" and each other, always.

No comments: