Now Featuring...

Abbie on... : Every Monday relationship philosopher Abbie discusses all things love, loss and San Diego.

My San Diego: Where we welcome a guest blogger who tells us all about their San Diego. Wednesdays!

Places I've Been: Every Friday Cutcha tells you about a place she's been. San Diego sites, attractions and fun. She'll tell you about her San Diego.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Rachelle in the City: Discovering Health, check.



Rachelle in the City: Discovering Health, check.


I am not aggressive by nature, unless survival instinct kicks in that is. I kept telling myself I don't care about commission where I work because it brings the worst out of people and I refused to fall into that trap. I was above all that, I thought to myself. So I would sit at the front desk twiddling my thumbs and answering phones while my extremely energetic coworker would be talking and laughing with guests, which would lead to the racking up of sales for her. She was used to being on top of the sales chain and I could see why. Randomly, I don't know how or why I decided this but I decided to challenge myself and see if I could take the lead in sales. As a result, I spent the past week out on the floor chatting, listening, suggesting books to read, selling massages, and offering advice on treating ailments, both physical and emotional (always expressing my limited expertise). It felt great and empowering because I saw myself making an impact on people who usually come into the store searching for anything to help make there lives better. The end result was that I pulled ahead in sales and I would have been at the top except that one of my other coworkers happened to sell a thousand dollar statue, curses. It's all really about luck as well, I noticed. So now I have officially joined the dog eat dog world of retail.

It really isn't as bad as it sounds. I came to a realization that perhaps I made another step forward in figuring out what I was meant to do in this life while I was out there selling because it felt really good speaking from my heart about what I thought would be good for them to try and having them absorbing what I was saying. Who would have thought? I am living in the perfect area for discovering what health profession I want to pursue and its good to know I actually like talking about being healthy to guests who walk in the store. Also the people I work with are really nice and have inspired me to make some positive changes in my life based on Ayurvedic principles of course. Don't worry, I don't plan on running off to India to join an ashram or anything, but I have always liked learning about different healing modalities and picking out techniques to incorporate in my life.

Likes to talk about health, check. Now, what profession does that lead to?

No comments: