Now Featuring...

Abbie on... : Every Monday relationship philosopher Abbie discusses all things love, loss and San Diego.

My San Diego: Where we welcome a guest blogger who tells us all about their San Diego. Wednesdays!

Places I've Been: Every Friday Cutcha tells you about a place she's been. San Diego sites, attractions and fun. She'll tell you about her San Diego.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Housing Search: A San Diego Apartment Day

I suppose not matter what the city, you find the best listings on Craigslist but the better deals just cruising around the area you want to live in, calling every number you can and getting a few responses here and there. We've done a lot of walking in our housing search and come up with these fun facts:

*You may want a garage, but you'll probably have to be happy with "off street parking", which is usually back in the alley way and a little bit crunched against the building.

*PB is crowded, no matter what street you drive down so don't expect to just "flip around" on a whim.

*Parking is a luxury, not a right.

*When you make your long list of things you'd want in an apartment, make sure you circle, underline, highlight and star those you absolutely must have and then settle for just one of those. On our must have list: dishwasher, garage. Those are our two criteria... of course we're not looking for dishwasher/garage in say, Santee or anything.

*Look, look, look. I am a firm believer that when you find the right place you just know it. You walk in, you view, and it's just obvious, this is the place you are supposed to live. Each and every apartment I've rented, it's all the same way, I just knew when I knew (just like I know right away when it's not the place). It's either the feeling of home or it's the feeling that you're finally done searching, but either way, there you go. So keep looking, don't get discouraged and set out for a day of searching with the mentality "I'll know when I know, when I know."

Haven't known yet.. but we're off to search again.

IB here we come (no seriously, come on you guys, IB is where it's at. IB 2008!)

No comments: