Now Featuring...

Abbie on... : Every Monday relationship philosopher Abbie discusses all things love, loss and San Diego.

My San Diego: Where we welcome a guest blogger who tells us all about their San Diego. Wednesdays!

Places I've Been: Every Friday Cutcha tells you about a place she's been. San Diego sites, attractions and fun. She'll tell you about her San Diego.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

You Throw a Rock at me, I Tear gas you and make your nose bleed for two weeks and call it a day.


On the last day of summer, ten hours before fall . . . . . .
my grandfather took me out to the Wall. - The Butter Battle Book


My husband and I pretty much agree on everything (or he pretty much agrees with me). We like to live in our liberal bliss, watching the TV, shaking our heads at the moronic nature of those who are as enlightened as we are, shake oure heads at each other when one of us reminds the other that The Terminator is our Governor, and he's not as bad as this guy was. Any way you cut it, we can have a nice conversation about this, or that, and not end it with "you conservative psycho get out of my house! Have fun at your dinner party with Bill O'Reily and Rush and SATAN!"

On one level we disagree about immigration. I won't go in to our opposing views on the subject, only to say that as a Native American person (me) I'll usually end the conversation with some joke about how he's just an immigrant himself and maybe he should go on back to France with his people (and then something about how, in California he's a double immigrant, being that, ahem, Mexico was kind of here for a while too).

However we both feel about the whole "hey I like how we're building a big fence to keep Mexico out, when it's the dang Canadians who are always coming down here paying for surgery they can't have because of their dang universal health care system", we do agree in the fundamental basics, you know, life, liberty, not getting tear gassed while in your home as retaliation for people throwing rocks over the border fence.

From NPR:

Rubis Guadalupe Argumedo's kitchen window looks out at the border fence. She says one sweltering night last summer she had all the windows open and tear gas poured inside.
She says Border Patrol agents lobbed a canister over the border fence and told her it was payback for the rocks that were being hurled at them.Argumedo says the tear gas gave her son nosebleeds for two weeks.Argumedo says after a tear gas attack one recent Saturday night, she yelled at a Border Patrol agent from her front porch. "I told him, 'Don't throw anything. There are kids here,'" she recalled. "I said, 'You're not in Iraq.'"She said he responded that he was sorry, but that the tear gas attacks would continue because rocks were being thrown at the agents.

While the Border Patrol agents will not confirm the use of tear gas in retaliation for the rock throwing incidents, they have said that they use whatever means necessary to protect the agents. Mexico has asked the Border Patrol to investigate and are awaiting the results.

I'm sure they'll get those real soon.

No comments: